It’s Recipe ReDux time ladies and gents! This month’s topic is an interesting one:
I actually have a couple of other recipes that I really wanted to share for this post, but have had such trouble finding time to prepare AND photograph them with the sun setting so early here in London. I’m sure I’ll get the hang of this lack of natural lighting soon, but for now this will have to do 🙂
This recipe wasn’t exactly the most creative one that I’ve ever developed, but it is definitely one of my favourites. There is nothing like a classic bowl of pesto pasta, with the green goodness of basil, strong Italian cheese, and comforting pasta. Pesto pasta doesn’t quite fall into the category of ‘holiday fare’, but I think that this colourful take on pesto pasta makes for a great quick meal. It can be whipped up with ease over the festive season, when you actually just can’t face spending much more time in the kitchen. This take on pesto pasta includes a whole lot of delicious extras, including olives, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach, and Buffalo mozzarella, and this actually makes it a very flavourful, and rather well-balanced meal. YUM!
If you want to make your own pesto from scratch, why not try out my recipe for Homemade Pesto with Basil & Baby Spinach. It’s a really easy one that can be whipped up in a flash to help you add more greens to any meal 🙂 And if you would like to prepare your own chickpeas from scratch, this post should help you out a bit.
I hope that you enjoy this nourishing bowl! I sure do love it…
- 2 cups cooked wholewheat / brown rice penne
- 2 Tbsp basil pesto
- 1/2-1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach / rocket leaves
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/3 cup olives, sliced
- 1 large ball of Buffalo Mozzarella
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Place a pot of water on the stove and bring to the boil. Prepare pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside when al dente (cooked).
- Place the pasta back into the empty pot. Add the pesto, chickpeas, baby spinach, olives, and cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and mix everything together well.
- Divide between two bowls. Tear the Buffalo Mozzarella apart and divide between the bowls.
While you’re at it, why don’t you head over to the current Recipe ReDux page to see what other wonderful creations have been shared this month?