Sometimes the most simple combination of ingredients and recipes are best. No complicated preparation instructions, no weird and wonderful ingredients, and no need for expensive kitchen equipment. Today’s post was written in collaboration with Maria from the blog Sweet Spotting, who does a great job of sharing some wonderful recipes with a healthier twist, from cakes and cookies to a whole lot of other tasty foods. One of my favorite recipes of hers is this one, a Banana Mug Cake that you can make in the microwave (topped with a spoonful of peanut butter of course!).
Ok so onto today’s post. Maria approached me a while back to collaborate on this post. We decided to try and come up with a tasty recipe using one or more of only five ingredients:
- Coconut milk
It can be quite tricky to come up with a recipe using so few ingredients, but after much experimenting, I think that we both did a pretty good job! I came up with this delicious Spiced Buckwheat Porridge with Poached Pears. In case you haven’t noticed from the @tasteandseeblog Instagram page, I LOVE BREAKFAST (so much that I have started my own little online store, Wholesome Kitchen, stocking some delicious breakfast products and snacks)! So this recipe was bound to be a breakfast of some sorts. I have written about buckwheat before, so check out this post or this link to the pantry to read a bit more about buckwheat. In contract with my raw buckwheat porridge, this one is much finer in texture and it thickens up really nicely when cooked. The creaminess of the coconut milk makes the texture of this porridge to die for, and the pairing with poached pears makes things a little bit sweeter. I hope you enjoy the recipe on one of these cold autumn mornings (if you’re located in the Southern Hemisphere that is), or just as a comforting morning bowl if you live anywhere else in the world 🙂
Check out Maria’s recipe here to see what she came up with: https://sweetspottingcom.wordpress.com/2017/05/28/slippery-pistachio-ice-cream-with-roasted-pears-only-3-ingredients/
- 1/4 cup buckwheat groats, hulled
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water (plus extra as needed)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 Tbsp honey
- 1 pear
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Water (as needed to cover the bottom of your small pot)
- Soak the buckwheat groats overnight in enough water to cover them. In the morning drain, rinse thoroughly, and add to your blender.
- Add the coconut milk, water, and cinnamon to the blender, and blend until the mixture becomes nice and smooth.
- Pour the porridge mixture into a small pot over a medium heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the porridge thickens nicely. Add in the honey, and stir to combine.
- Serve with poached pear halves.
- Peel the pear, halve, and remove the core. Place into a small pot or saucepan along with water to cover the bottom of the pot, the honey, and some cinnamon.
- Cover and bring the water to a simmer. Simmer the pear for 15-20 minutes, turning every now and then to ensure even poaching.